NFL revenue year by year was the highest for 2022-2023 season at $2.7 billion. Total revenue of NFL was $1.8 billion in 2021-2022 season.
The above data is for the earnings from sponsorships alone. Forbes has mentioned that such deals contribute to 10% of NFL revenue.
In total, there are 32 teams in the National Football League and all of them have boasts 3,195 sponsorships in total. On average, one team has around 100 brand deals
As the years pass by, the 103-year-old American Gridiron has also grown tremendously. With a steep decline in revenue in 2020, the league’s revenue has escalated currently.
Moreover, with the newly launched NFL international marketing program, the income of the league is expected to see unprecedented growth. They earn such large profits, and 48% of the total NFL revenues of the team are utilized for the player’s salary.
Since the 2023-2024 regular season is about to start on the 7th of September, let’s take a glance at the previous year’s income.
Total Revenue Of NFL
Yearly NFL revenue was $18 billion in 2022. From sponsorship alone $2.7 billion was collected for the 2022 regular season of the league.
In 2021, the total income was $17.19 billion, slightly lesser than the last year. Meanwhile, the sponsorship revenue of $1.8 billion was collected, with alcohol topping most of the deals.
The NFL’s contract with Apple worth $50 million also helped generate income.
In terms of individual deals, the Jacksonville Jaguars landed the most deals that stand at 170. Likewise, the Cowboys and Buffalo Bills come at 2nd and third positions with 140 and 135 deals. Also,
- Indianapolis Colts – 125 deals
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers – More than 120 deals
NFL revenues by year show an increment from $17.19 billion to $18 billion in the past season. 2020 saw a decrease due to the global pandemic, $12.2 billion.
Looking at the history of the past 15 years, the total revenue of the NFL franchises has only been rising. Starting from 2001, 2020 is the only year in which the earnings decreased.
Here is a list of revenues from 2001 to 2022. This is a brief statistic that implies how the National Football League turned itself into the richest sports league in the world.
- 2001 – $4 billion
- 2002 – $4.94 billion
- 2003 – $5.33 billion
- 2004 – $6.03 billion
- 2005 – $6.16 billion
- 2006 – $6.54 billion
- 2007 – $7.09 billion
- 2008 – $7.57 billion
- 2009 – $8.02 billion
- 2010 – $8.35 billion
- 2011 – $8.82 billion
- 2012 – $9.17 billion
- 2013 – $9.58 billion
- 2014 – $11.09 billion
- 2015 – $12.16 billion
- 2016 – $13.16 billion
- 2017 – $13.68 billion
- 2018 – $14.48 billion
- 2019 – $15.26 billion
- 2020 – $12.2 billion
- 2021 – $17.19 billion
- 2022 – $18 billion
NFL Profits By Year
NFL team profits are the highest for the Dallas Cowboys with a revenue of $1.1 billion. The Cowboys have been gaining the highest profit for 15 years consecutively.
While their operating income stands at $466 million, their current value is $8 billion.
Here is a list of teams, their revenue, and operating income in parenthesis in ascending order:
- Detroit Lions – $452 million ($114 million)
- Cincinnati Bengals – $462 million ($89 million)
- Arizona Cardinals – $467 million ($112 million)
- Buffalo Bills – $470 million ($83 million)
- Jacksonville Jaguars – $471 million ($114 million)
- Tennessee Titans – $481 million ($115 million)
- Indianapolis Colts – $484 million ($100 million)
- New Orleans Saints – $490 million ($125 million)
- Los Angeles Chargers – $491 million ($156 million)
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers – $492 million ($62 million)
- Pittsburgh Steelers – $494 million ($135 million)
- Kansas City Chiefs – $495 million ($135 million)
- Minnesota Vikings – $500 million ($141 million)
- Carolina Panthers – $501 million ($139 million)
- Atlanta Falcons – $506 million ($172 million)
- Cleveland Browns – $510 million ($90 million)
- Baltimore Ravens – $512 million ($127 million)
- Seattle Seahawks – $518 million ($123 million)
- New York Jets – $519 million ($136 million)
- Chicago Bears – $520 million ($156 million)
- Denver Broncos – $526 million ($143 million)
- Miami Dolphins – $533 million ($160 million)
- Green Bay Packers – $543 million ($138 million)
- Washington Commanders – $544 million ($130 )
- Philadelphia Eagles – $547 million ($130 million)
- Las Vegas Raiders – $563 million ($116 million)
- Houston Texans – $571 million ($211 million)
- San Francisco 49ers – $575 million ($142 million)
- New York Giants – $584 million ($178 million)
- Los Angeles Rams – $628 million ($203 million)
- New England Patriots – $651 million ($231 million)
- Dallas Cowboys – $1.1 billion ($466 million)
NFL advertising revenue was $636 million in 2022 combining the pre, post, and in-game advertising. The number was estimated at $534 million in 2021.
Since the start of the Super Bowl in 1967, the NFL’s revenue from playing commercials has increased significantly.
Through the Super Bowl advertisers alone the league made around $600 million in the last season. It is obvious that there are several sources of income for the NFL since it is one of the richest leagues in the world.
Apart from advertisements, there are ways like sponsorships, partnerships, merchandise sales, media, ticket sales, and many more to bring in wealth.
Earnings From Broadcasting Rights
Television rights land a handsome deal because the NFL is one of the most watched events in America. Almost 15 million football lovers tune into their television to enjoy a regular season game.
Through partnerships with television and streaming services like Prime Video, the league makes billions of money.
Per Sportskeeda, the league signed a contract with $113 billion with TV in 2021. It will be enforced till 2033. The TV deals of the league are with media like CBS, ESPN, ABC, NBC, and Fox.
YouTube and NFL signed a 7-year contract for the Sunday Ticket package in 2022 which is worth $2 billion yearly per NBC.
It is the second media rights deal of the NFL with a streaming service. Since 1994, DirecTV used to pay $1.5 billion on a yearly basis to hold the rights to Sunday Ticket.
Meanwhile, gambling is another way to make money for the league as stated by Investopedia. On top of that, it is legal. So, it’s a win-win situation for everyone.
The NFL partners with renowned casinos and set up betting parlors at the stadium to make the most out of the highly enjoyed betting in the league.
Selling merch of the teams, and players is another way to earn money. For that, companies need to buy rights from the team.
By partnering and doing endorsements with brands, NFL can amass large sums of money. In 2018, they signed a deal with Nike, a footwear company.
NFL stadium revenue is around $500 million on average each year. The stadium makes money largely through advertising, sponsorship deals, and ticket sales.
Also, by selling the naming rights of the stadium, concession sales, and parking fees. The seating capacity, the overall design, and location also influence the amount of profit a stadium can make.
Allegiant Stadium of Las Vegas has a seating capacity of only 65,000 while AT&T Stadium can incorporate 100,000 spectators.
Here is the list of NFL teams and their stadium revenue from the 2018 season according to Forbes:
- Dallas Cowboys – $621 million
- New England Patriots – $315 million
- New York Giants – $262 million
- Houston Texans – $218 million
- New York Jets – $218 million
- San Francisco 49ers – $208 million
- Washington Redskins – $205 million
- Atlanta Falcons – $204 million
- Philadelphia Eagles – $204 million
- Green Bay Packers – $174 million
- Miami Dolphins – $172 million
- Chicago Bears – $166 million
- Denver Broncos – $162 million
- New Orleans Saints – $161 million
- Pittsburgh Steelers – $156 million
- Seattle Seahawks – $156 million
- Baltimore Ravens – $153 million
- Minnesota Vikings – $152 million
- Carolina Panthers – $143 million
- Jacksonville Jaguars – $142 million
- Kansas City Chiefs – $128 million
- Los Angeles Rams – $121 million
- Arizona Cardinals – $119 million
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers – $119 million
- Detroit Lions – $117 million
- Cleveland Browns – $113 million
- Indianapolis Colts – $112 million
- Tennessee Titans – $110 million
- Buffalo Bills – $104 million
- Cincinnati Bengals – $99 million
- Los Angeles Chargers – $93 million
- Las Vegas Raiders – $77 million
NFL Ticket Revenue
NFL ticket sales by team remain the highest for the Dallas Cowboys with an average price of ticket $113.
During 2020, 1.25% of the league’s total earnings were collected from the sales of the ticket. The NFL stadium average attendance was recorded at 69,389 per game in 2022. In that season, the average NFL ticket price was estimated at $111.75.
In 2021, the Las Angeles Raiders earned $119 million from sales of the ticket alone.
Meanwhile, the Las Vegas Raiders have the highest ticket price this season which is estimated at $1,035 on average by Forbes.
The @Raiders ranked No. 1 in the NFL in net ticket revenue generated last season w/ $119M to games held at @AllegiantStadm, per @Sportico. The Raiders did so despite being No. 25 in number of tickets sold. Last season was 1st Allegiant hosted fans. #vegas #raiders #RaiderNation pic.twitter.com/A4YCmhaqZK
— Mick Akers (@mickakers) July 19, 2022
Per game, the entry fee for a New England Patriots match will be the most expensive where the attendees will have to pay $1,176.
By revamping their stadium and increasing the seating capacity, better earnings can be done.
For instance, when the AT&T Stadium was newly built in 2009, the venue of the Cowboys saw the largest NFL game attendance, 105,121.
How Much Is The NFL League Worth?
Nfl net worth is $142.87 billion for all the teams. By simple calculation, each NFL team has a value of $4.47 billion on average.
The Dallas Cowboys alone generated $7.64 billion in 2023, which made them the most valuable NFL team.
Per Statista, the Cowboys are also the team to have the highest earnings i.e. $800 million in 2020.
On the other hand, Cincinnati Bengals is the club with the least value per Sportico. They collected only $462 million in the 2021 season.
Green Bay Packers is the only franchise from the National Football League that has been running as a nonprofit organization in the league since 1921. Their worth is $4.25 billion in 2022.
Taking about the worth of individual athletes, Russell Wilson, the quarterback of the Denver Broncos bagged most deals.
The aim of the league is to earn $25 billion worth of income within the next 4 years in 2027.